Last Updated on January 15, 2024 by Arnav Sharma
As more households and businesses transition to NBN (National Broadband Network), the quest for the perfect device has never been more relevant. Whether you’re contemplating a modem-router combo, seeking compatibility with different NBN technologies, or trying to determine if you should bring your own (BYO) modem, this blog is your go-to resource. We’ll explore options from the basic provider-supplied modems to advanced mesh WiFi systems, analyze the merits of the each Modem, and unravel the complexities of cable modems. For those on the hunt for the best overall performance or compatibility with all NBN types, our insights will guide you through the maze of choices. Stay tuned as we compare, contrast, and ultimately help you in choosing the best NBN modem or router for your specific needs.
TP-Link AX3000 Dual Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Router
The TP-Link Archer AX55, also known as the AX3000 Dual Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Router, offers a solid performance, particularly on its 5 GHz band. It excels in providing excellent Wi-Fi coverage and speed, making it a good choice for those seeking a reliable and efficient router. The device supports OneMesh, which is handy for extending your network using compatible TP-Link devices or other brands that support the Wi-Fi EasyMesh standard. However, it’s important to note that the upload speeds can be slower on the 2.4 GHz band, a common issue with routers using Qualcomm processors. The hardware might not be powerful enough for advanced features requiring extensive processing power, such as running a VPN server. If these limitations are not a concern for you, the Archer AX55, a wifi 5 router, could be a very satisfactory choice.
In terms of design, the Archer AX55 has a classic router appearance with four non-detachable external antennas and plenty of ventilation grids. The router is compact and light, and also wall-mountable, offering flexibility in its placement. The back of the router includes a USB 3.0 port, a WAN port capable of 1 Gbps speeds as required by various nbn technologies, and four 1 Gbps Ethernet ports, making it adaptable with the telstra smart modem. The router is powered by a dual-core Qualcomm processor and comes with 512 MB of RAM and 128 MB of storage for firmware.
TP-Link AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Router
The TP-Link AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Router offers a mix of positive features and limitations. It has a user-friendly interface with both basic and advanced settings, and includes helpful context-sensitive guidance. The router’s performance is noteworthy in the 5 GHz band but less impressive in the 2.4 GHz band. It supports guest networks and has configurable settings for each band. However, when compared to the modern telstra smart modem, the router lacks USB 3.0 ports and its storage performance is relatively slow. It’s also important to note that its routing performance, though decent but not exceptional, can influence the execution of your nbn plan, specifically in terms of simultaneous throughput. Overall, this router is a viable option for those seeking a basic dual-band router with a good set of features and acceptable performance, especially considering its price range
TP-Link AX5400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Router
The TP-Link AX5400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi 6 Router, also known as the Archer AX73 or AX72 (with some minor differences), offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses. It performs well on the 5GHz band, making it suitable for tasks that demand high-speed internet, like 4K streaming or gaming. However, its performance on the 2.4GHz band is more modest, and its signal range may not be as extensive as some other models.
The AX5400 is equipped with six antennas and has a compact design with effective heat ventilation, which is important for maintaining performance. The router includes a USB 3.0 port, four Gigabit LAN ports, and a Gigabit WAN port. Setting up the AX5400 is straightforward, with options to use a browser or the TP-Link Tether app.
One notable feature of the AX5400, an NBN-ready modem, is its support for the TP-Link OneMesh system, allowing for extended coverage in larger spaces without significant costs. This system is particularly useful if you’re on an nbn plan and need to ensure strong Wi-Fi coverage throughout a bigger home or office.
TP-Link AC1200 Whole Home Mesh WiFi
The TP-Link AC1200 Whole Home Mesh WiFi system, available in different models like the Deco E4 and Deco M4 – a notable Wi-Fi router, offers a mix of features suitable for those looking to improve their home Wi-Fi coverage.
Deco E4/E4R – a popular NBN modem-router:
- Design and Build of Best Modem Router for NBN: The Deco E4 units are tall, thin, and lightweight, resembling traditional PC speakers. They come with two Ethernet ports with a speed of 100 Mbps, which is a limitation for those with internet speeds over 100 Mbps. The top of the units features a TP-Link logo with different color indicators for various statuses.
- Performance: These units offer a total theoretical bandwidth of 1200 Mbps, split between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. They support Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) and 2×2 MU-MIMO wireless transfers.
- Setup and Usage: Setting up is done through the TP-Link Deco mobile app. The app is user-friendly but lacks advanced settings and two-factor authentication for account security. Considering it’s 2024, Firmware updates are readily available and important for optimal performance of your telstra smart modem or any internet service provider technology.
- Coverage and Stability: The Deco E4 provides stable and reliable Wi-Fi coverage, particularly notable on the 5 GHz band. However, the maximum speed of the best modem router for NBN is capped at 100 Mbps due to the Ethernet port limitations.
- Compatibility: The Deco E4 can be mixed with other Deco models, making it versatile for expanding existing mesh systems.
- Design and Build: Similar in design to the E4, the Deco M4 units are also tall and thin. They feature two 1 Gbps Ethernet ports, providing better compatibility for faster internet connections.
- Hardware: Each unit includes a quad-core processor, 128 MB of RAM, and 16 MB of storage for firmware. They also use Bluetooth 4.2 for connecting to smartphones and other devices, including telstra smart modems, enhancing the use of your broadband connection.
- Performance and Features: The M4 provides a similar total bandwidth as the E4, with better performance on the 5 GHz band. Considered suitable for less advanced broadband needs, it offers fewer features compared to higher-end models but is compatible with other modems and routers such as Deco systems for extended coverage.
- Setup and Usage: The setup process is similar to the E4, using the TP-Link Deco app. The app is straightforward but lacks more complex features and web-based administration.
- Network Stability: The Deco M4 is noted for stable network performance, although variability in wireless transfers was observed, especially on the 2.4 GHz band.
Tenda AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
The Tenda AC1200 series routers, including models like AC6, AC9, and AC10, offer a range of features and performance levels that cater to different needs and budgets.
Tenda AC6 AC1200:
- Design: This model boasts an angular front with a stealth fighter aesthetic and eight LED indicators.
- Performance: Offers performance comparable to higher-end routers in some aspects but falls short in range and coverage. It’s more suitable for moderate usage and can provide satisfactory speeds for activities like streaming and gaming.
- Connectivity: Includes three LAN ports, one WAN port, and features for Wi-Fi and WPS.
- Additional Features: Offers parental controls, guest network options, and bandwidth limiting capabilities. However, it lacks a USB port, which restricts connectivity options for file sharing or data transfer.
- Range and Speed: While it delivers decent performance in closer proximity on a broadband network, the network strength weakens with distance, thus affecting speed of our internet service provider.
NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Tri-Band Router
The NETGEAR Nighthawk AX6600 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router (Model: RAX70-100NAS) is a high-performance router that has received positive feedback from users, particularly for its speed, setup, and connection quality. It’s designed to provide a substantial coverage area of up to 2,500 square feet and can support up to 40 devices, making it a strong choice for households with multiple users and devices.
Key features of the NETGEAR Nighthawk AX6600 include:
- Wi-Fi 6 Technology: Offering speeds up to 6.6 Gbps, this router is equipped to handle high-demand activities such as HD video gaming and web conferencing without interruption.
- Tri-Band Operation: With six 5GHz and two 2.4GHz streams, the router efficiently manages network congestion and bandwidth for various devices.
- NETGEAR Armor: This feature provides an automatic shield of security for your Wi-Fi and connected devices, offering real-time protection against hackers. It also adds privacy with VPN support, with a 1-year subscription included.
- Multiple Ports: The router includes four Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for wired connections and a USB 3.0 port for sharing storage drives.
- Nighthawk App: When configuring your broadband network, the router is set up with ease using the Nighthawk App, which also enables management of Wi-Fi settings, internet speed testing, and data usage monitoring.
- Advanced Technologies: Known for supporting 160MHz channel bandwidth, 1024-QAM modulation, MU-MIMO, beamforming, and OFDMA, the router is efficient and optimized for data transmission and thus compatible with the latest fttn and fttp nbn technologies.
TP-Link WiFi 6 AX1500 Smart Wi-Fi Router
The TP-Link WiFi 6 AX1500 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX10) is a well-received and affordable option for those looking to upgrade to a Wi-Fi 6 router, making it a suitable consideration if you’re planning on switching to an nbn plan with a new internet service provider. It offers a good balance of performance and features for its price range.
Design and Build: The Archer AX10 is a lightweight, plastic router with a classic look. It includes four non-detachable external antennas and several front LEDs indicating the operational status, which can be turned off if desired. The router also has mounting holes on the bottom, a feature useful for some users.
Hardware Specifications of Wi-Fi RouterThe router is equipped with a Broadcom BCM6750 triple-core system-on-a-chip, running at 1.5 GHz, 256 MB of RAM, and 16 MB of storage for firmware. This can help you find the best NBN-ready modem. The router is dual-band, with a total theoretical maximum bandwidth of 1201 Mbps on the 5 GHz band and 300 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band, and supports Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) as well as WPA3 encryption.
Connectivity: On the back, you’ll find four 1 Gbps Ethernet ports, a 1 Gbps WAN port, buttons for power, Wi-Fi on/off, and WPS features.
Performance: The router performs well with Wi-Fi 5, Wi-Fi 6 standards and with an array of modems and routers, offering fast network connections helpful with broadband and the ability to handle many devices simultaneously. However, since it’s 2024, its performance on the Wi-Fi 4 standard on the 2.4 GHz band, which is important for many nbn technologies such as fttn and fttp, is somewhat underwhelming compared to other routers with similar hardware.
Setup and UsabilitySetting up the NBN-ready modem or the router is straightforward, either using a web browser or the Tether app for Android and iOS. The firmware interface is user-friendly, providing both basic and advanced settings. The Tether app also allows for remote control of the router.
Tenda Nova Mesh WiFi System MW6 – Mesh System
The Tenda Nova MW6 mesh WiFi system, compatible with various nbn technologies, is known for its affordability, ease of setup, which are its main selling points, especially when considering an upgrade for broadband connectivity. However, there are some trade-offs to consider.
Performance and Hardware: Each Tenda Nova MW6 node is equipped with a Realtek RTL8197FS SoC, integrating a 1 GHz processor, 128 MB of RAM, and 16 MB of storage. It supports the 802.11ac Wave 2 networking standard and 2×2 MU-MIMO transfers. The system is dual-band, with a total theoretical maximum bandwidth of 1167 Mbps, split between the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands. However, it’s important to note that it cannot exceed 700 Mbps on Ethernet connections.
Design: The nodes are cube-shaped with an LED light that changes color based on the status of the station. Each node has two Ethernet ports and a power jack, along with a reset jack that can also function as a WPS button.
Setup and UsageThe setup process for the MW6, an NBN modem-router, is straightforward, making it a prime choice for broadband users, largely due to Tenda pairing the kit before purchase. The Tenda WiFi mobile app, required for setup, has been criticized for requesting excessive access permissions, which raises privacy concerns. The app’s functionality has been noted as basic, with no advanced features.
Network Performance of Best Modem Router for NBN: Users have reported variable wireless network performance with the MW6. The system has been observed to have issues in managing bandwidth efficiently when multiple devices are connected, leading to variability in network speeds and occasional disconnections.
Link: Tenda Nova Mesh WiFi System (MW6)-Up to 6000 sq.ft. Whole Home Coverage, WiFi Router and Extender Replacement, Gigabit Mesh Router for Wireless Internet, Works with Alexa, Parental Controls, 3-Pack
NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Tri-Band Router (RAX70)
The NETGEAR Nighthawk AX6600 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router (RAX70) is generally highly regarded by users, particularly for its speed, ease of setup, and connection quality. This router stands out for its performance, supporting Wi-Fi 6 technology that enables higher speeds and improved capacity for handling multiple devices simultaneously. It’s designed to cover a large area, making it suitable for medium to large-sized homes.
Key features of the Nighthawk AX6600 (RAX70) include:
- Tri-Band Wi-Fi: This router offers three bands, ensuring better distribution of Wi-Fi devices and reducing interference.
- High-Speed Connectivity: With speeds up to 6.6 Gbps, it’s well-equipped for high-bandwidth activities like streaming, gaming, and large file transfers.
- NETGEAR Armor: It includes a one-year subscription to NETGEAR Armor for enhanced security, providing an extra layer of protection for connected devices.
- User-Friendly Setup: Users have noted the ease of setup, often highlighting the simplicity of managing the router via the accompanying app.
- Coverage and Range: The router is designed to cover up to 2,500 sq. ft., making it a good fit for larger homes. However, some users have reported issues with range, particularly in reaching distant areas of large houses.
Q: What are the key features to look for in an NBN modem router?
When searching for the best NBN modem router, key features to consider include compatibility with NBN technologies, support for high-speed internet (like NBN 1000), and the ability to provide stable WiFi coverage. Look for modems with easy setup, the ability to connect multiple devices, and additional functionalities like a built-in WiFi extender or smart home integration.
Q: How do I choose the best NBN plan for my home internet?
To choose the best NBN plan for your home internet, consider your internet usage patterns and the number of devices connected. Look at the different NBN speed tiers offered by various NBN providers in Australia, and consider factors like data limits, contract terms, and the reputation of the provider. NBN co’s website can also provide valuable information on finding the best modem or router.
Q: Is the Google Nest WiFi Router a good choice for NBN connections?
The Google Nest WiFi Router is a popular choice for NBN connections due to its easy setup, strong WiFi coverage, and smart features. It’s compatible with various NBN technologies and can be a part of a mesh WiFi system to extend coverage throughout your home. However, ensure it meets your specific NBN requirements before purchasing.
Q: What advantages does the Ultra WiFi Modem offer for NBN users?
The Ultra WiFi Modem is designed for NBN users seeking the best WiFi experience. It typically offers the latest WiFi technology, providing faster speeds and better coverage. Some ultra WiFi modems also include features like mesh networking capabilities and advanced security features, making them a good choice for a comprehensive home internet setup.
Q: Why should I consider a router or mesh WiFi system for my NBN connection?
Choosing a router or a mesh WiFi system for your NBN connection can significantly enhance your internet experience. Routers offer the ability to connect multiple devices, while mesh systems provide extensive coverage throughout your home, eliminating dead zones. They are particularly beneficial for larger homes or for users needing consistent WiFi strength in various rooms.
Q: What’s the difference between the NBN modem and the Telstra Smart Modem?
The NBN modem is a generic term referring to any modem compatible with the NBN network. In contrast, the Telstra Smart Modem is a specific model offered by Telstra, featuring integrated 4G backup, VOIP support, and compatibility with Telstra’s NBN plans. It’s designed to offer seamless internet connectivity and is optimized for Telstra’s network.
Q: How important is it to have an NBN-compatible modem in 2024?
In 2024, having an NBN-compatible modem is crucial for connecting to the internet via Australia’s National Broadband Network. NBN-compatible modems are specifically designed to work with the various NBN technology types, ensuring you get the most out of your NBN service, including adhering to the speed and reliability standards set by NBN co.
Q: Can a gaming enthusiast benefit from a specific type of NBN router?
Yes, a gaming enthusiast can greatly benefit from a specific type of NBN router, especially one that offers low latency, high-speed internet connectivity, and advanced features like QoS (Quality of Service) to prioritize gaming traffic. Look for routers that are specifically marketed towards gamers, as they are often optimized for gaming needs.
Q: How do I pick the best NBN modem for gaming in 2024?
To pick the best NBN modem for gaming in 2024, look for a modem with low latency, high-speed capabilities (like NBN 100 or NBN 1000), and advanced features such as QoS (Quality of Service) settings. Also, consider a modem with the latest WiFi technology for optimal gaming performance.
Q: What makes the Telstra Smart Modem 3 stand out for NBN users?
The Telstra Smart Modem 3 stands out for its compatibility with various NBN technologies and its ability to provide a seamless switch to a mobile network in case of an NBN outage. It also offers advanced features like improved WiFi coverage, smart home integration, and easy setup, making it a top choice for many NBN users.
Q: When searching for the best NBN router, what should I consider?
When searching for the best NBN router, consider its compatibility with your specific NBN technology type, WiFi coverage capabilities, number of ports, and any additional features like mesh system compatibility or parental controls. Also, look for a router that supports the latest WiFi standards to ensure future-proofing.
Q: Can Optus NBN customers use their own modem?
Yes, Optus NBN customers can use their own modem, provided it is compatible with the NBN. However, they should ensure that the modem supports the specific NBN technology type provided in their area and meets the necessary speed requirements for their chosen NBN plan.
Q: What is the advantage of having a mesh WiFi system with an NBN connection?
Having a mesh WiFi system with an NBN connection offers the advantage of extended WiFi coverage throughout your home, eliminating dead zones. Mesh systems are particularly beneficial in large homes or buildings with multiple floors, ensuring consistent and strong WiFi signal in every corner.
Q: Are there any specific modems recommended for Telstra’s NBN plans?
While Telstra provides its own Telstra Smart Modem for customers, other modems may also be compatible with Telstra’s NBN plans. When choosing a modem for Telstra’s NBN, look for one that is NBN-ready, supports VOIP if needed, and offers the required speed and WiFi coverage for your home setup.
Q: What is the difference between a modem router and a standard router?
A modem router combines the functions of both a modem and a router into one device. It connects directly to your ISP and also distributes the internet connection wirelessly within your home. A standard router, on the other hand, only distributes the internet connection and requires a separate modem to connect to the ISP.
Q: Why is it important to consider routers and mesh WiFi systems for an NBN connection?
Considering routers and mesh WiFi systems for an NBN connection is important because they can significantly enhance your home internet experience. They ensure wider and more stable WiFi coverage, are ideal for connecting multiple devices, and are especially beneficial in larger homes to eliminate WiFi dead zones.
Q: What should I consider when buying the best NBN modem or router?
When looking for the best modem or router for your NBN internet, it’s crucial to ensure that the device is compatible with all NBN technologies. Mesh WiFi systems are great for extending coverage, and many modems now come with this feature. Additionally, consider if you need a router that also supports other functionalities specific to your needs.
Q: Are Telstra modems a good choice for new NBN connections?
Yes, getting the Telstra Smart Modem can be a smart choice for new NBN connections. Telstra modems are known for being compatible with NBN and offer reliable performance.
Q: What are the advantages of mesh WiFi systems for NBN users?
Mesh WiFi systems are great for NBN users as they provide extensive coverage and strong signal strength throughout the house, eliminating dead zones. This is especially beneficial for homes with multiple devices or larger areas to cover.
Q: How do I pick the best modem for NBN?
To pick the best modem for NBN, consider factors like compatibility with NBN technologies, performance, brand reputation, and any additional features like mesh networking capabilities. Researching and comparing different models will help you find the best overall option for your specific needs.
keywords: need a modem pick of the best nbn technologies and nbn new nbn modem nbn compatible router also supports